About Shaw Woods Outdoor Education Centre
To foster an ethic of responsible environmental stewardship, by providing educational programming and self-directed learning to educational groups, community organizations and the public at large. In conjunction with the foregoing, to teach sustainable forestry practices which manage the social, economic and ecological values provided by forests.
We support the concept of maintaining undisturbed forest areas as living examples of old growth forest available for the study and appreciation of their unique cultural and scientific values.
- The Shaw Woods OEC is a registered charitable, not for profit organization managed by a board of directors.
- The Shaw Woods OEC was incorporated in 2010.
- The property has been in the Shaw Family since 1847.
- For over a century the site included a working farm with a water powered saw mill and grist mill.
- The site includes 50 hectares of old-growth forest and 160 hectares of wetlands and mixed forest.
- The 14 km network of trails is maintained by a team of volunteers.
- Trail Guides and Maps
- The site is open year around, dawn to dusk.
- Some trails are occasionally closed for special events.
- There is no charge for parking or access to the site.
- Washrooms available on site.
- Cell reception available over much of the site.
- School Program Information.